Saturday, June 16, 2012

An open letter to Nastia Liukin

Dear Nastia,

Over the past week, I've received many emails from your fans who disapprove of the many jokes I've made about you recently. What those fans have failed to realize is that I too, am a Nastia Liukin Fan.

From 2005-2008, your gymnastics seemed effortless, although you were competing some of the most difficult routines in the world. I love that you can compete a layed out Gienger although you're taller than most gymnasts out there. I love you earned 5 well deserved medals at the 2008 Olympics. And I love that you competed a phenomenally stuck vault on what was possibly the most stressful day of your life.

I personally believe that this is one of the most beautiful routines I've ever seen.



When I heard you were planning to return to the sport, to be honest, I was thrilled. Although I felt that your timing was somewhat off, I yearned to see your gorgeous lines on beam and your wonderful artistry on floor once again. After seeing you at Classics, I was thrilled about your performance and to be honest, felt bad that your news had been shoved aside as the gymnastics community addressed the Chellsie Memmel drama.

And then you arrived in St. Louis and I saw your double front half. I grew more and more excited to see you compete and began to see you as a serious contender for the Olympic Team.

I loved that things actually seemed to be coming together for you.

Here's what I DIDN'T love though: 
-I didn't love that you didn't have the professionalism to either pull out of the bar competition or compete a legitimate dismount.
-I didn't love that you told the press that you had only been training bars for about a week, while there are pictures from as far back as September with you in grips and you trained extensively at Classics.
-I didn't love that you didn't mention your "injury" to the media at Classics or Championships until you struggled in competition.

If you had a bad meet, just own up to it. It's the right thing to do.

Nastia, I've always been your fan, but you make it hard for me to root for you when it seems as if you aren't taking your "comeback" seriously.

Best wishes and good luck at Trials,
Bekah

16 comments:

  1. I believe that she stated that she had only been training FULL routines about a week ago, I could be wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with everything you said! I knew she was going to announce an injury if she didn't perform up to all the hype

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100 percent with this. I think most of her fans who are emailing you are still in the "Omg Nastia is back" mood, and not really focusing on her gymnastics or anything. Just the fact that she's competing. Either way, I agree with this letter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She announced shoulder injury two months ago!!! Also, yes she has been training bars but cut back tremendously the last two months for the shoulder to heal. She has only put together full routines recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The above is all true. I think it was mentioned months ago that she pulled out camp due to a shoulder injury? I think its best to stay neutral as far as she is concerned. Her performances cancel eachother out and until trials she will remain a huge question mark. I respect her for doing the bar routine even when she was not ready.

      Delete
  5. she never said she was competing bars for a week just full sets plus she was training bars back in September but got injured and had to stop training bars for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She did say. She had only been, training FULL bar routines for a week. Not that she just started training bars period. What are you talking about, her JUST mentioning her injury. We've been hearing about it for months. I read about her shoulder injury months ago. That's why she just started, doing full bar routines in the first place. If you're going to call her out get your facts straight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can someone please link me to this 2 month old interview?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't find the link to the actual interview... it was a video recorded interview on Skype that was release on universal sports for the 100 days celebration. But here is what I wrote about it back in April: http://wp.me/p1SAMC-5g

      In a Skype interview with Universal Sports on 100 days out (April 18), Nastia said she felt confident. “Any professional athlete would tell you they wish they were further along, or better, or more consistent or stronger, but for where I’m at right now I feel pretty confident.” Nastia looks great in the training video released recently. She also said in the interview that bars is coming back the slowest. “I’m pretty pleased to see how much stronger I’ve gotten over the past few months even in being able to put together routines and skills. My shoulder has been bothering me a little bit, so I’m still trying to get that stronger and if anything, that’s been my biggest setback – not allowing me to be further along in the process.”


      That being said, she has been pretty low key about it, only talking about it when asked.... as most of the girls tend to be about their injuries. :)

      Delete
  8. I can't find the article. Maybe it was on IG? I read something about it too. Something like, she took a month off training bars. Her shoulder was bothering her. It must have been pretty bad. For her too take a month off. Considering, her limited training time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. she is a fat lazy entitled bitch. Can not wait to see how she spins this next failure. Ps. I used to love nastia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Fat"? What are you, 12?

      Delete
    2. Anyone who calls an elite gymnast "fat" is someone with serious issues. Either stop the hating, or get some counseling.

      Delete
  10. If she is legitimately injured I don't understand what you wanted her to do. Had she blurted out all her injuries at Nationals, you would've still said she was making excuses there and even pulling attention away from the other girls.

    And her saying that she's sore means nothing. In ALL sports that is often code for something more severe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just find Nastia extremly rude to the judges and other competetors by presenting that preformance. She was injured so she shouldnt of gotten up and done that and only focused on her BB.

    ReplyDelete