Friday, October 28, 2011

Jordyn Wieber Goes Pro

(Photo Property of Intl Gymnast, Debbie Poe)
Wow. Jordyn Wieber announced to the Detroit Free Press this morning that she will be forfeiting her College Eligibility. I'm kind of surprised by this news as she said at Visa Championships that she wanted to compete in College. I could have seen her at UCLA, Florida, or even Michigan, but today, she gave that up. Geddert made a good point by saying that he couldn't really see her competing watered down routines 14 weekends in a row. That definitely sounds true.

Shawn turned Pro in 2007 after she won worlds, never looked back and look how much she's earned. I just hope that this doesn't turn into a Jana Bieger, "I'm going to earn 143 dollars" type thing. Ordinarily, I wouldn't think Jordyn in that light, but her mom said in the article:

"We want to keep distractions at a minimum as she trains for the Olympics. In the future we might look into representation." 


What?! I want Jordyn on my McDonald's cup! Why are you giving up your eligibility then?! There isn't that much prize money out there. I'm happy she turned pro and can't wait to see what sponsorships she receives. I just hope that she doesn't wait to get an agent until her biggest opportunities are over. For Jordyn's sake, hopefully those biggest opportunities won't come until after the 2012 Olympics.

2 comments:

  1. Whatever makes her taco pop I guess. Some of those college scholarships are worth over $30,000 per year in tuition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with the idea. There would also probably be a lot of arrogance by her on the team (I'm not saying she's arrogant, but with the situation, it could happen), with her known as the 2011 World AA Champion, throwing some of the hardest skills, suddenly doing Level 10 routines. I think it's a good idea, especially since she's a very stoic gymnast, which is NOT what NCAA is about.

    ReplyDelete